Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goodwill Hunting

My favorite Saturday afternoon activity is going down to the local Goodwill and sifting through the treasures. Sometimes they have great furniture, sometimes a decent leather purse and sometimes I come home empty handed feeling grimy. It really depends on the day and my mood. Overall, the good days outweigh the bad ones.

On bad days, thrift stores can be VERY overwhelming and annoying (Ugh, why can't they just show me the adorable things!) BUT I refuse to miss out on good deals because my blood sugar is low. So I have a pretty simple method:

Go directly to the pretty things. Skip the boring junk and look for shiny or embroidered or pretty patterns. I have a real addition to all things embroidery and crewel. I want to cover EVERYTHING in it. I haven't done so yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon, just you wait, it will be bad.

Anyway, after something catches my eye I check out the brand and/or quality of fabric and construction. Sometimes brand is enough of an indication. If not, I look for natural fabrics-wool, silk and cotton.

This week I struck gold in the jacket department.

J Jill embroidered number (shocker) that I have in mind for my mom:



A tagged-ripped out (AKA really good) 100% silk one that I think might be sweet for my oma (sorry the color's washed out):




A classic grey wool for moi (it always helps when a cute hipster walks by and says "that looks great on you." Ok, thanks I will take this one-I look cute in it.)



And a cute purple puffy sleever that I don't know what to do with, but has the potential for adorable-ness.




Now I need to decide how to style these babies...

No comments:

Post a Comment